from Bon Appetit, December 1996
What makes this tart extra-special is the blue cornmeal; it gives the base an extra depth of flavor and heartiness. But cheese, chiles, and pastry, I mean, really, what's not to love?
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup blue cornmeal* or yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons (about) ice water
- 3 large fresh poblano** or New Mexico chilies
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), room temperature
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Colby cheese
- *Blue cornmeal is available at natural foods stores and some specialty foods stores.
- **A fresh green chili, often called a pasilla, available at Latin American markets and some supermarkets.